Monday, June 21, 2010

For Now

An extract from "Love, Rosie" by Cecelia Ahern,

I know what that feeling was at your wedding-it was jealousy. My heart broke when I saw the woman I love turning away from me to walk down the aisle with another man, another man she planned to spend the rest of her life with. It was like a prison sentence for me. Years ahead without me being able to tell you how I feel or hold you how I wanted to.
Twice we stood beside each other at the altar, Rosie. Twice. And twice we got it wrong. I needed you to be there for my wedding day but I was too stupid to see that I needed you to be the reason for my wedding day. But we got it all wrong.

Missed opportunities, they sting you just as much as regret does. Chances come and go, they don't stay right there, waiting for you to grab or hold on them. Why do you bother so much for your pride or the consequences that might or might not follow? We do not measure life with the number of right steps we've taken throughout the entire journey, but the lessons we've learnt and number of getting ups even if we fall over and over again.

In the novel, Alex and Rosie only managed to be together when they're at their fifties. They took half a lifetime to clear their doubts and misunderstandings. They got rid of everything which was in their way to be with each other. At least, they had the courage to do things right, no matter how old were they. But in reality, not everybody has the second opportunities coming in their way, do appreciate it before they're gone.

No comments: